Thinking about moving to South Orange, New Jersey, with a pet? Or, thinking about getting one now that you're in town? Here are some local resources to help you on your way.
NJ PET LICENSE
- Any owner of a dog seven months of age or older is required to annually apply for a dog license to the licensing clerk of the municipality in which he or she resides, according to the Official Website for the State of New Jersey.
- To apply for a dog license in South Orange, complete this form. To apply for a cat license complete this form. and send a check or money order along with a self-addressed stamped envelope to "The Township of South Orange Village" at the Village Hall - Health Department, South Orange, NJ 07079. The fees for dogs are as follows: $17 for spayed/neutered dog (you must submit proof of spay/neutering) and $20 for non-spayed/non-neutered dog. The cat fees are $17 for spayed/neutered cats and $20 for non-spayed/non-neutered. You'll find much more info regarding licensing and fees for both dogs and cats by clicking here.
- Associated Humane of Newark: The animal shelter that serviced South Orange used to be the Jersey Animal Coalition but it was made to close in November of 2014. Now the Associated Humane of Newark serves as the animal shelter; (973) 824-7080; 124 Evergreen Ave, Newark, NJ 07114.
SOUTH ORANGE VETERINARIANS
- Dr. PetLover: (973) 900-9977; mobile veterinarian
- South Orange Animal Hospital: (973) 763-2600; 66 Valley St, South Orange, NJ 07079.
- South Mountain Reservation: The actual dog park here is in Maplewood at 10 Bear Lane; click here to view the dog park rules.