Looking for fun things for your children to do in South Orange, New Jersey? Here are some local options:
- Baseball: South Orange-Maplewood baseball is administered by the South Orange Department of Recreation and has many different leagues. Click here to view details on each specific league. For a map and description of meeting locations, click here. You'll find registration information here.
- Class Act Performing Arts Studio: This studio offers classes in dance, voice, and drama for young people of all ages and skill levels; (973) 789-0191; 128 Irvington Avenue, South Orange, NJ 07079.
- Maria Priadka School of Dance: MPSD offers dance classes for tots to teens to adults, from beginner to advanced; (973) 762-7709; 50 S Orange Ave # 205, South Orange, NJ 07079.
- Mark Murphy's Music School: This school offers music education and instruction; (973) 378-2540; 25 Scotland Road, South Orange, NJ 07079.
- Montrose Park: The Montrose Park Historic District association preserves and beautifies the Montrose Park Historic District, to maintain its integrity. The residential neighborhood is characterized by elegant, large-scale homes, dating from the last quarter of the nineteenth century through the 1930s.
- South Mountain YMCA: Community-focused nonprofit established in 1844 with recreational programs & services for all ages; (973) 762-4145; 13 Jefferson Avenue, Maplewood, NJ 07040.
- South Orange Cultural Affairs: The South Orange Department of Recreation & Cultural Affairs is located in the Baird Community Center, a 100 year old Tudor-esque building set in Meadowland Park. The mission of the Department of Recreation & Cultural Affairs is to enhance the quality of life in South Orange, by providing a well-rounded program of leisure time activities for community residents of all ages and interests. These range from ballet for children to adults, basketball drills, a comic book caper studio, and much more. To view all programs and activities, click here; (973) 378-7754; 5 Mead Street, South Orange, NJ 07079.
- South Orange Community Pool: This is one of the few tax supported pools in the state, open free of charge to all Village residents who have valid I.D. Badges. The complex consists of an Olympic size pool with attached diving tank, an intermediate pool (30 ft x 50 ft), and a wading pool (30 ft x 30 ft), a snack bar, and an outdoor picnic area; 5 Mead Street.
- South Orange Public Library: The library children's services department offers different programs for children; (973) 762-0203; 65 Scotland Road.