- New Jersey Transit: Montclair is approximately 30-minutes via New Jersey Transit's Montclair-Boonton line to New York City's Penn Station. A one-way ticket will cost approximately $7; a monthly pass is around $184. NJ Transit also offers various discounted fares, including Family Supersaver Fares and BusinessPass (which allows you to save on monthly passes by deducting a portion of the cost from your pre-tax salary). NJ Transit has seven stops in Montclair, they are: Bay Street, Walnut Street, Watchtung Avenue, Upper Montclair, Mountain Avenue, Montclair Heights, and Montclair State University. Below is the address for each station:
- The Bay Street station is located at 43 Glenridge Ave, Montclair, NJ 07042; this is the ONLY station within Montclair with train service on weekends and holidays, per the NJ Transit schedule for the Montclair-Boonton line. Note: there is a jitney to the Bay Street station.
- The Walnut Street station is located at 25 Depot Square, Montclair, NJ 07042; this is the most used station on the Montclair-Boonton line, per Wikipedia.
- The Watchtung Avenue station is located at 396 Park Street, Montclair, NJ 07042; service to this station is weekdays (Monday - Friday) with service stopping at intermediate points.
- The Upper Montclair station is located at 275 Bellevue Avenue, Montclair, NJ 07043
- The Mountain Avenue station is located at 14 Laurel Place, Montclair, NJ 07043
- The Montclair Heights station is located at 1 Normal Ave, Montclair, NJ 07043
- The Montclair State University station is located at 100 Clove Street, Little Falls, NJ 07424.
- For additional information call (973) 275-5555. Click here to view a NJ Transit Rail System map.
- NJ Transit offers direct bus service to Montclair. You will need to budget about $8-$10 and an hour or more for your one-way commute. The bus numbers differ depending on time of day and final destination within Montclair. To quickly identify the bus you would need to take click here to select your starting and end points. Once you've identified the right bus for you, return to this page so you may download a PDF of the timetable for your desired route. Click here to view a NJ Transit system bus map for Essex County.
- DeCamp Bus Lines: Routes 33 and 66 on the DeCamp Bus Line service the Montclair area. A one-way ticket will cost about $8, depending on your route and stop and will average about 45-minutes on both weekdays and weekends. Trips may be purchased individually though buying in groups of 10 or 40 offers a discounted rate. DeCamp participates in WageWorks, which is an employer sponsored program that helps employees save up to 40% off their daily commutes. Click here to view the weekday/weekend stops and schedule for Route 33 and click here to view the weekday/weekend stops and schedule for Route 66. To view an interactive map, plug in your starting and end points here. For additional information call (800) 631-1281.
- The NJ Transit Montclair Shuttle runs Monday through Friday on a set schedule and costs $0.50 each way. The Shuttle service will not run if the Montclair Public Schools are closed or scheduled for delayed opening. How do you know when that is? The bus service will follow the Board of Education's Emergency School Schedule during inclement weather. Radio broadcasts of emergency school closings can be obtained by tuning into WOR 710 AM, WINS 1010 AM, or WNJR 1430 AM from 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m., or logging onto www.wor710.com from 5:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. You may also contact the Department of Public Works at (973) 783-5600.
The morning shuttle bus service:
- Starts at the intersection of Bloomfield Avenue and South Mountain Avenue
- Travels south along South Mountain Avenue to Llewellyn Road
- Turns left on Llewellyn Road to Harrison Avenue
- Goes across Harrison Avenue to the junction of Llewellyn Road and Orange Road/Elm Street
- Turns left on Elm Street to Lincoln Street
- Travels right on Lincoln Street to Maple Avenue
- Goes left on Maple Avenue, across Bloomfield Avenue, to Pine Street
- Makes a final stop at the New Jersey Transit Bay Street Station.
The afternoon service:
- Travels the route in reverse direction, ending at South Mountain Avenue and Bloomfield Avenue. The shuttle bus makes stops about every two blocks.
Click here to view a route map and arrival times. For additional information call (973) 783-5610.
- Montclair is about 20 miles from New York City or an average 42-minute drive depending on traffic. Driving from Montclair to NYC via Lincoln Tunnel will cost $15 cash or a $10.50 transponder fee; the Holland Tunnel will cost $15 cash or $10.50 transponder fee. When driving from NYC to Montclair you can expect to pay a $0.75 toll.