- New Jersey Transit: Bloomfield is approximately 30-minutes via New Jersey Transit's Montclair-Boonton line to New York City's Penn Station. A one-way ticket will cost approximately $7; a monthly pass is around $184. NJ Transit also offers various discounted fares, including Family Supersaver Fares and BusinessPass (which allows you to save on monthly passes by deducting a portion of the cost from your pre-tax salary).
- Bloomfield has two train stations:
- The Bloomfield station is located at 56 Washington Street, Bloomfield, NJ 07003. There is a Bloomfield Shuttle that runs on a set schedule and route to and from the Bloomfield station from Monday through Friday, excluding holidays. Learn more under the "Bus" category below.
- The Watsessing station, located beneath the Bloomfield Police Benevolent Association meeting hall, is at the corner of Watsessing Avenue and Orange Street in Bloomfield. It is one of two stations where the boarding platform is below ground (Glen Ridge station is the other). A one-way fare to/from NYC is approximately $7.
- For additional information call (973) 275-5555. Click here to view a NJ Transit rail system map.
- Bloomfield Shuttle runs on a set schedule and route to and from the Bloomfield station from Monday through Friday, excluding holidays. Click here to view the North End bus route schedule. And click here to view the South End bus route schedule. A 50 pass ride costs $25. For more information call (973) 566-7194, email shuttleinfo [at] bloomfieldtwpnj.com, or visit the Bloomfield Recreation Department.
- NJ Transit offers bus service to Bloomfield but it is not direct, you will need to transfer and will need to budget about an hour and $9 for your one-way commute. The bus number and stops are different depending on time of day. To quickly identify the buses you would need to take click here to select your starting and end points. Once you've identified the right buses for you, return to this page so you may download a PDF of the timetable for your desired route. Click here to view a NJ transit bus map for Essex County.
- DeCamp Bus Lines: Routes 44 and 88 on the DeCamp Bus Line service the Bloomfield area. A one-way ticket will cost between $5-$9, depending on your route and stop and will average over an hour and often closer to an hour and a half. Trips may be purchased individually though buying in groups of 10 or 40 offers a discounted rate. DeCamp participates in WageWorks, which is an employer sponsored program that helps employees save up to 40% off their daily commutes. Click here to view the stops and schedule for Route 44 and click here to view the stops and schedule for Route 88. Please note, route 88 does not operate on Saturday, Sunday, or holidays. To view an interactive map, plug in your starting and end points here. For additional information call (800) 631-1281.
- Bloomfield is about 16 miles from New York City or an average 30 to 45-minute drive depending on traffic. Driving from Bloomfield to NYC via Garden State Parkway will cost a $1.50 cash or transponder fee. The Lincoln Tunnel will cost a $15 cash or $10.50 transponder fee; the Holland Tunnel will cost $15 cash or $10.50 transponder fee. When driving from NYC to Bloomfield you can expect to pay a $1.50 toll.